Let’s face it, hormones often get a bad rap and we can blame them for everything from PMS symptoms to mood swings, and food cravings. But, here’s the thing, hormones play so many important roles in supporting our health, and balancing overall health is a key part of making sure our hormone balance stays in check.
If you feel like your hormones are out of whack, I am going to break down why and how exercise plus the food that you eat can help assist in balancing your hormones.
Let’s start with exercise:
#1 Yoga: Nothing beats a restorative yoga routine when it comes to bringing more calm into your life which also results in a reduction in stress hormones (cortisol). You can get your body out of that constant state of fight-or-flight with an at-home yoga routine. I have put together a video with some gentle stretches below so that you can integrate them into your daily routine, upon rising would work best.
#2 Pilates: Similar to yoga, Pilates is a great hormone-balancing workout that also happens to build strength and stability.
#3 Walking: Something as simple as brisk walking can do wonders for hormone balance, but often times we underestimate just how wonderful walking is for our overall health. Brisk walking is a super low impact way to not only help get the blood pumping, but it’s also great for the mind. With both the physical and mental benefits of getting a good walk in each day, a brisk walk is sure to do your hormone balance some good.
#4 Strength Training: Strength training often gets a bad rap for being “intense.” But, that’s not necessarily the case, and strength training, can be a great lower-impact way of moving your body and keeping hormone levels in check.
Please have a look at this short video showing you some gentle stretches that you can do every morning, aim to hold each stretch for around 30 seconds.
Now for Nutrition…
Starting your day with apple cider vinegar is a sure way to increase your stomach acid and prime your digestion for absorbing the maximum amount of nutrients from the food you are about to eat. This will assist you in feeling energised, and experience better digestion and bowel movements. Simply add 2 TBS into a big glass of filtered water (preferably warm) first thing on an empty stomach.
Aim to keep your first meal of the day high in protein and fibre, a good example of this is this High Fibre Smoothie recipe below
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 whole overripe banana fresh or frozen
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 2/3 cup 1% milk
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1-2 tbsp. honey or maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. ground flax seed
Lunch & Dinners
Be sure to eat a diet that is rich in colour, vegetables & fruits, we want to try to avoid processed foods, gluten and dairy where we can. Also limiting alcohol & caffeine is an important aspect if you are striving to decrease inflammation and alkaline your body.
Vegetables such as broccoli, broccoli sprouts, kale, collard greens, bok choy, cauliflower, and cabbage are great as they assist the liver to detoxify us from metabolised hormones that can cause harm. Add in some good-quality protein such as fish or lamb roast, free-range chicken or wild salmon, this will also help keep you fuller for longer.
Sleep is also key when it comes to balancing your hormones so be sure to have a solid bed time routine, try doing some meditation before bed to get you into a relaxed state.
If you feel like you need a program to follow to help you with all of the above, be sure to join my FitMum community. I am currently running a FLASH SALE for Natural Parenting Mag readers, so you can join and get lifetime access for one easy payment of only $47 instead of $97.
CLICK HERE NOW and use the discount code NPM
Here is a reminder of what you get when you invest in this program:
– Nutrition plans that are super easy to follow, healthy and delicious! These plans include quick and easy yummy guilt free treats so you will not feel like you need to binge out on the ‘bad stuff’ anymore!
– Easy to follow workout routines that have been designed with a ‘busy mum’ in mind.
– You get access to our super supportive Facebook forum where I will help guide you on your journey.
– 24/7 support and encouragement from the other ladies doing this program, be prepared to make lifelong friends!
– You gain access to the members area of this site where you have access to an exercise library with – 100’s of exercises plus core & stretch routines and video exercises and tips from our Physiotherapist on post natal care.
– You get your own in house Physiotherapist who explains in depth everything that you need to know pre and post baby.
– Mindset tools!
– Vegetarian and Vegan food plans available
– Loads of ongoing tips and assistance to help you stay motivated and on track
CLICK HERE NOW and use the discount code NPM
Hurry sale ends soon and numbers are limited!
Join now and pay one easy payment of only $47. The price is usually $97 but I have reduced it by 50% for a limited time!
Yours in health